This week is a big week in our home as we celebrate not one, but TWO kiddo birthdays! It’s been a pretty incredible 6.5 years and I feel awestruck at the amazing journey these two souls have taken me on. As I sit and reflect on what these past mommy years have been like for me, here are some of the thoughts that come to mind:
- For me, being a parent stretches me in more ways than I thought possible. I experience higher highs and lower lows and have a feeling that type of growth won’t end anytime soon…
- It’s an incredible gift to watch these two individuals develop, grow, and learn. From the early attachment building to motor skill strengthening to language development to social skills growth—the development of a child is truly an amazing process.
- I never knew how much fun spontaneous, living room dance parties could be.
- I am surprised at how much I am learning about myself as part of this parenting process. However, I don’t always like what I learn and look forward to the day when I find myself saying “Ugh…why did I do/say that?!” less often than I do now.
- I appreciate the opportunity to reflect on what my values are, on what moral, work, and social qualities are important enough to me to try and instill in my children.
- It’s amazing how powerful a look or the tone of your voice can be in getting your kids to start listening to you. As in right now.
- It’s incredible how children enter this world as unique individuals with their own personalities, quirks, strengths, and temperaments. There is something to be said for genetic predispositions.
- I really hope these next 15 years don’t go as quickly as everyone says they will…