We are in the midst of one of my favorite seasons of the year: spring. And as a music therapist, I have one additional reason to love spring: regional conference!
I have been (somewhat jealously) following the Twitter streams of my music therapy friends across the country as they share updates of all the interesting and exciting things happening at their regional conferences.
It’s Midwestern’s turn now!
Next week, hundreds of music therapists and music therapy students will travel to Iowa City for our annual Midwestern music therapy regional conference. I’ll be driving up myself and am very excited about seeing some friends and colleagues…and about re-visiting my alma mater!
It looks like there are some wonderful presentations and events happening this year. Here’s where you’ll likely find me next week:
- Advocacy CMTE (Thursday, 3:00-9:00 pm). On Thursday afternoon, Judy Simpson and I will be facilitating a 5-hour CMTE on advocacy and the state recognition work that is happening across the country.
- Opening Session (Friday, 1:00-2:30 pm). An Afro-Cuban Drum and Dance Ensemble is performing? I’m there!
- ENGAGE in Advocacy (Friday, 2:45-4:15 pm). Some of the wonderful music therapists who work on our state recognition task forces will be talking about their experiences, successes, challenges, and tips they’ve learned as a part of this process. Even though I work with them on a regular basis, I very much look forward to hearing them share their story.
- State Task Force Meeting and Reception (Friday, 5:30 pm). Do you see a state recognition theme going on? It’s important to share information and learn…and also to connect and celebrate in person! I’m looking forward to seeing and connecting with some of my state recognition colleagues and task force members.
- ETAB Townhall Meeting (Saturday, 8:00-9:15 am). If you are a music therapist, undoubtedly you’ve heard that AMTA is considering a move to a Masters-level entry. This meeting will be an opportunity to learn more about this process, to share concerns, and to ask questions. I will be there…coffee in hand.
- Plenary Session (Saturday, 9:30-10:30 am). This year’s conference theme is all about advocacy! As such, Judy Simpson and I are presenting a plenary session Saturday morning on advocacy, the state recognition process, and how you can get involved.
- Songwriting with the Incarcerated (Saturday, 2:15-3:30 pm). A dear friend of mine, music educator Catherine Wilson, will be presenting on this unique songwriting workshop she and a professor of hers have developed at an Iowa City-area prison. Should be interesting!
- Annual Tweetup (Date/Time TBA). In all likelihood, there will be a tweetup at this regional conference for all us Twitter-folk. Follow the #mwamta12 hashtag and let’s figure something out!
This is only a small sample of all the interesting events and sessions that are scheduled for next week. I’ll probably be attending more than I list here…and won’t get to attend everything I want to!
What about you? What sessions and events are YOU most excited about? Please let us know in the comments section below!